The oldest bookshop in the world. The original bookstore was opened by Pedro Faure on Rua Diereito do Loreto. He had hoped his bookstore would become a center of intellectual and artistic events. Faure was successful but in 1775, The Great Lisbon Earthquake practically destroyed the shop. Put off, Faure sold his bookstore to the Bertrand Brothers who relocated the shop temporarily, but returned to the Baixa de Lisboa area 18 years later and rebuilt it. Over the years, the Bertrand brand has become a national name and is now the largest bookstore chain in Portugal with more than 50 shops.