The Statues of Sydney - CBD
In anticipation of Victoria’s Golden Jubilee of 1887, the Government of New South Wales commissioned Hungarian born English sculptor Sir Joseph Edgar Boehm to produce a full sized bronze figure of the Queen.
Also known as Albert the Good, was erected in 1866.and is wearing the robes of the order of the Garter. The bronze is a copy of that originally executed in terracotta in 1865 by English sculptor, William Theed the younger, for the Royal Albert Infirmary at Bishop’s Waltham. (1804-1891)
Porcellino, meaning ‘the little pig’, is a larger than life-sized bronze wild boar, anatomically realistic and resting on its left haunch and front legs. It is located outside the Sydney’s oldest hospital, Sydney Hospital, facing Macquarie Street. The sculpture is an exact replica of an original by Pietro Tacca which has stood in Florence, Italy, since circa 1633, and is given the local Florentine nickname il porcellino.
'First Impressions' Sculpture at The Rocks
Click on the Aussie icon below to return to the Australasia page,
or click HERE to return to the home page